• derelict-houses
  • derelict-properties
  • derelict-houses-in-London

Electrical Safety Checks For Tenanted Property

Whilst it is not a statutory requirement to provide an electrical safety certificate for your property it is recommended that all electrical items provided by you are safe to use. Unlike gas regulations there is no law that says you should provide an electrical safety certificate but if your tenants are injured by any electrical appliances it is possible that you couple be held liable. It is therefore a good idea to makes sure the appliance are safe or do not provide the appliances.

With most regulated tenancies the cahances are that you will not be proviving any appliances but it is possible that some form of electric heating or immersion heater has been provided and it is a good idea to have these checked by a competent electrician.

What does an electrical inspection involve?


The Electrical Safety Council recommends that you get your home inspected by a registered electrician every ten years, and that landlords should get rental properties inspected before they are let out. During the inspection, the electrician will: identify any defective electrical work check for potential electrical shock risks, check for electrical fire hazards, make sure all the wiring is safe. Appliances will not normally be tested as part of an inspection, but if the electrician suspects that they are potentially dangerous they would bring this to your attention.

Carrying Out Repairs


If the inspection report highlights any urgent problems, they should be fixed as soon as possible. All repair and installation work must be carried out properly. Always use an electrician registered with one of the Government-approved schemes. Registered electricians will work to the UK national standard BS 7671 (Requirements for Electrical Installations), and will issue you with a safety certificate to confirm that their work has been designed, built, inspected and tested in line with that standard. They will also arrange for you to receive a certificate that confirms the work meets the Building Regulations.

If we go ahead and buy your property we will pay your solicitors fees in connection with the sale. We will reimburse your lawyers fees to you immediately on completion. With this in mind you know that the price that you have agreed for your property investment is the figure that you will bank.